Previous Page | Downtown East Grand Forks | Rebuilding Downtown | East Grand Forks Flood and Recovery
Click on photos with borders to view a larger version. If you want to download photos,
click here first.
Whitey's had been in business in East Grand Forks since 1925. Thay had been at the same location downtown from 1933 to April 1997, when floodwaters filled their building. After the flood, the owners salvaged many of the furnishings from the 1933 building, including the horseshoe bar. The salvaged items were placed in storage while the owners looked for a new location. For a while, it appeared that Whitey's would move across the river to Grand Forks. The old building was torn down to make way for the floodwall. After the floodwall location was finalized, the Fail Building, located one half block east of Whitey's old building, became available. Whitey's reopened in the Fail Building at Second and Demers in September, 1998. In 1999, they expanded the building towards the river, adding a new entrance facing the river.
Top | Previous Page | Downtown East Grand Forks | Rebuilding Downtown | East Grand Forks Flood and Recovery
This page maintained by Alan Draves.